Summertime is salad time, and if you are looking for a delicious, healthy salad to add to your repertoire, this is it. Contributed by plant-based consultant, Rebecca Carucci, this salad is packed with lots of great flavors, and has a hearty texture that is guaranteed to satisfy you.
"Have fun with it" says Rebecca. "Be creative and add whatever chopped nuts, seeds, fruit or veggies you have. If don't like curry, you can leave it out, and it will be delicious too".
Traditionally the salad is served over Romaine hearts, but any favorite green will do. The salad can be to made into a sandwich, serve with crackers, put in a lettuce wrap, or even stuffed into an avocado or red bell pepper. With so many possibilities, it is great for lunch, dinner or even a snack!
Curry Chickpea Salad
• 2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas
• ¼ cup diced red onion
• ¼ cup dried cranberries
• ¼ walnut pieces (or pecans, almonds, cashews)
• ¼ cup dairy-free mayonnaise or regular
• ½ cup diced, unpeeled apple (about 1 small)
• ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar to mix with apples after you chop them
• ½ cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
• 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
• 2 tsp. Curry Powder
• ¼ tsp. dried thyme
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1/8 tsp. black pepper
• Sandwich bread or bed of greens
1. Rinse the chickpeas with cold water and drain well
2. Put them in a large bowl and use a potato masher to mash them until they are the desired texture (I leave them a little course rather than smooth)
3. Add all the other ingredients and mix until combined well
4. Serve over your favorite green, on crackers, on a sandwich or just by itself
Rebecca Carucci is a certified plant-based nutritionist, and the owner of Powered by Plants Consulting, which provides individuals and organizations support in transitioning to plant-based practices.